Breast Augmentation in Jupiter, FL
Small breast size may be due to a natural family trait, lack of full development, or it may be from lost volume because of a dramatic weight loss, age or pregnancy. The best way to increase breast size is by an augmentation. Kim Edward Koger, M.D., F.A.C.S. of Koger Cosmetic Clinic and Medspa, located in Jupiter, FL, performs breast augmentations for the residents of Wellington, Vero Beach, and the Palm Beach County area.
For women who desire larger breasts, the augmentation procedure helps to enhance the size, shape and fullness of the breast. This type of procedure has a positive effect on a woman’s self-esteem and body image.
But enhancing the size, shape and fullness is not the only benefit an augmentation can do for breasts. Many women with breasts of unequal sizes can achieve improved symmetry with breast enhancement surgery creating uniformity. It can also be used for breast reconstruction if a woman has recently undergone a mastectomy. In a procedure often referred to as a “Mommy Makeover,” women who have undergone undesirable changes due to pregnancies will combine breast augmentation with a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. Dr. Koger has performed thousands of procedures with breast augmentation being one of the most common.
The surgery itself, when performed by an experienced surgeon like Dr. Koger, can involve very little recovery time. Many of his patients begin doing a light activity only a couple days after the procedure. Normally, it will take up to three weeks before normal activities can be resumed.
Breast Augmentation Implants
Below you will find more information about breast augmentation and the kind of results you can look forward to. This information is meant to be useful to you and may not answer every question. If you find you still have questions, consult Dr. Koger for more information about your individual surgery.
- Size: Choosing the correct size of the implant can be the most difficult part of breast augmentation. When selecting a size, we encourage you to pay close attention to volume, not cup size. The garment industry varies significantly, so choosing a cup size may give you unwanted results. Dr. Koger listens closely to his patients and takes care to select the best implant size for them. When choosing the final size, Dr. Koger will pay close attention to the patient’s anatomy and current breast measurements as these play crucial parts in a successful breast augmentation.
- Incision: Dr. Koger understands his patients want to keep the incision as small and hidden as possible. Because of this, he will make the incision either around the areola or underneath the breast in the inframammary crease. This crease is where the lower part of the breast comes in contact with the chest wall.
- Pocket: At the incision site, Dr. Koger will create a pocket. This pocket may be behind the breast tissue or one tissue layer deeper, also behind the chest wall muscle, called a sub-pectoral placement. Creating the pocket behind the chest wall is the most common practice for surgeons but the patients starting anatomy helps determine the best pocket position.
- Implant: You will have two choices for your implants: silicone gel or saline. While the majority of implants are filled with silicone gel, both types have a silicone casing. Women tend to choose the silicone gel more often due to it feeling and looking more realistic and having less rippling than its counterpart. You will most likely be able to undergo this procedure with a general anesthetic. General anesthesia is recommended and safe for patients. Typically, a breast augmentation is an outpatient procedure, and most patients experience a quick recovery time and high level of comfort afterward.
The Best Candidates for Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentations are well known to boost self-esteem and confidence. Women who undergo this procedure acknowledge it has been crucial in improving their appearance.
Those who feel dissatisfied with their current breast size, or those who have breast conditions, are ideal candidates for the procedure. This could be the right decision for you if you have any of the following characteristics:
- You are dissatisfied with the smallness of your breasts
- Due to fluctuation in your weight, your breast shape and size have changed
- You notice a high degree of self-consciousness when wearing tight fitting tops and swimwear
- Garments fit your waist well but are too big for your bust
- Your breasts have lost firmness and have become smaller due to having children
- One breast is larger than the other
It is important that you are healthy and have realistic expectations to be a good candidate for this procedure. The best patient will be one who wants to enhance their appearance.
Breast implant options include the following:
- Saline Breast Implants: These implants are filled as Dr. Koger does the procedure. This allows him to make small adjustments to the size of the implant and ensure the best fit. They are filled with sterile salt water.
- Silicone-Filled Breast Implants: While these implants may require a longer incision for placement, given that they are filled before the surgery, they are the most commonly chosen type of implant. They are filled with an elastic gel that is soft and more closely mimics natural breast tissue.
Studies and evidence show that both kinds of implants are safe for the patient. As with other kinds of medicine, the surgical techniques are constantly evolving. This makes sure that the procedure is made as safe and reliable as possible. A consultation with Dr. Koger will let you find out even more about the safety of breast augmentation.
Planning Your Breast Augmentation Surgery
Dr. Koger will meet with you during your initial consultation to check your health and discuss how the procedure will take place. During this time, he will overview the techniques he feels are best for you, taking into account the elasticity of your skin and the current condition of your breasts.
Take this time to give your honest input. Let Dr. Koger know what your expectations for the surgery are and evaluate each alternative and the limitations. Let Dr. Koger know if you are currently taking any vitamins or medication. Also, be sure to let him know if you smoke.
Preparing for Your Breast Augmentation Surgery
You will be given a list of instructions on how to prepare for your breast augmentation. You will receive information regarding vitamin and medication use, as well as recommendations for how to handle such things as smoking, drinking, and eating.
We ask that you find someone to transport you both to and from your surgery. It may also be in your best interest to have personal assistance for the first few days following your augmentation.
How Much Does a Breast Augmentation Cost?
Most insurance policies will not provide coverage for breast augmentation procedures due to it being considered an elective cosmetic surgery. Koger Cosmetic Clinic and Medspa seek to make the procedure affordable and accessible and offer financing options via CareCredit®. We also accept cash, personal checks, and major credit cards.
Having safely performed many breast augmentations on patients residing in Wellington, Vero Beach, and the Palm County area, Kim Edward Koger, M.D., F.A.C.S. of Koger Cosmetic Clinic and Medspa, can help you too. If you desire to augment your breast size, contact him today for a consultation.